Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Same, Same. But Different

We cut the cord for satellite TV a few months ago. I spent a week TDY and had a TV in my room, and thought I'd enjoy watching ESPN again. I love sports, and spent almost 20 years of my life either playing a sport or coaching, but the politicization of sport is crazy to me because sport, at it's foundation is a meritocracy.

My wife and I were talking last night about a the amount of grief high school coaches put up with (Andrea played 4 years of college basketball, and was a varsity coach after that for a while). In 8 seasons I attended or watched well over 1,000 high school games. I may have seen 120 kids that could start at the JuCo level or NAIA level or higher. The rest of those kids? I hope they were learning lessons of how to COMPETE, because that's what life is.

You're going to compete for a mate, for a job, for advancement, for your kids attention and respect. Every day you have to put on your boots and charge once more into the fray. You're not owed a single thing, but if you work your guts out each day. encourage those on your team/tribe/family to keep going you'll be amazed at what can happen.

How do we compete with ourselves though? By trying to be a better version, if not the best version of ourselves. Set goals for each week, month, and year of things you want to get done. They can be projects around the house, the yard, working out learning how to change your oil, etc. A big to do list. Leave it up, as you check those things off a sense of accomplishment in getting stuff done will start to be a habit.

How does getting rid of $70 a month in TV bills equate to this post. It's a habit, paying for something that we didn't really need that we broke. A few months later I don't miss it and wonder why we didn't do it sooner. The house is more peaceful. I'm reading more, I'm doing more around the house. In self reliance, everything comes back to how we spend our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment