Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Belted Galloways Versus Their Full Size Brethren


So Andrea and the girls wanted to go the State Fair of Texas this year, and I was lucky enough to get some free tickets at work. To be honest, I'd rather pour hot sauce in my eyes than willingly go to Dallas, much less go to Dallas and wander through huge crowds. Love makes men do stupid things.

After spending the last two years with the Dexters and Belties it was wild walking through the beef cattle exhibits and seeing the yearling steers double the size of our full size cattle. I'm an honest 6 feet tall, barefoot, and after getting used to towering over our cattle it was odd to be looking at the backs of cattle at eye level. It definitely made me more sure that the smaller cattle are right for our little homestead.

I can't imagine, after 2 years of working by myself with the cattle, of working with full size cattle now. If a Beltie steps on your foot, you're hurting, but if a 2000 pound cow steps on you, I can't imagine the damage it will do. The females are easy on fences, the bull on the other hand is not. I can't recommend enough the Belted Galloways for your homestead.

No comments:

Post a Comment