Monday, October 3, 2016

Average Size

While I was moving Andrea down to Texas, our house sitter, who’s a country girl from Oklahoma called and said, “Snow, there’s a snake eating your eggs, and it’s huge. I tried to kill it but it got away.”

I was expecting to find a 3 footer, maybe 4 foot on the outside snake when he came back next. On arriving home I went out to the stall in the barn serving as a coop and saw a big snake head peering out of the old hay bales. I ran back into the house for a shotgun, seeing as how that seemed to be the best tool at hand. I emptied the 00 Buckshot out and threw in some 8 shot and headed back to the barn as quick as I could.

The egg thief was still periscope up when I came around the corner. I put a round of shot through his face into the ground and ended his reign of egg terror. I dug him out with a shovel from underneath the hay. It was then I realized how big he was, measuring in right at six feet long. It was only the beginning of our attempts to outsmart the snakes.

*For the record, yes I understand how many rats, mice, etc that a rat snake can eat, and when I come across them in the pasture, I’m happy to see them. Once they start eating eggs I’m really left with no alternative other than to dispatch them.

No comments:

Post a Comment