Thursday, October 6, 2016

300 Blackout on the Farm


If you're a backyard homesteader, this post may not be for you, unless of course you ever think about home defense...

The pistol above is a .300 Blackout in an AR platform. I put in a heavy buffer and attached a hog light (it's just a green LED flashlight, but hog light sounds way cooler). It has a Geisel two stage trigger, Magpul grip and BUIS, and the red dot is the best value I've found from Primary Arms here in Texas. I've put several hundred round through it, and it has become my go to platform on farm for when I walk the fence or respond to bumps in the night. That platform used to be a suppressed .22, but after the "Skunk Incident" I transitioned to the Blackout. You can see the disaster that was my encounter with a skunk here.

The .300 Blackout on skunks has been a one shot affair. It's made it's name here in Texas by being able to be easily suppressed and also capable of dropping 300 pound hogs with one shot. I shoot a 220 grain Hornady Whisper round that has made short work of feral dogs and is what I have loaded for the home defense round as well. Anyone who supports a 10 round mag ban has never had 8 feral dogs tear through their livestock or seen the damage feral hogs do in the Southeast.

There are a ton of things left for me to get done on the homestead list, but buying a suppressor for it is on my short list.

No comments:

Post a Comment