Friday, October 21, 2016

First Calf Born and Bred on the Snow Compound Arrived Today


I noticed that one of the Belties udders was taut yesterday and mentioned to Andrea that I thought the heifer would be calving soon. I went out this morning to feed the hogs and let the chickens out to roam before running into town for jury duty and what do I see? Tito with a calf by her side out by the little barn.

I'm not going to lie, I was giddy. Not normal giddy, think 10 year old, two Red Bulls in on Christmas morning who found a pony under the tree. I tried to get close to Momma and calf, but she didn't want anything to do with me. The belt on the calf was blacklight neon bright white, it's a beautiful animal.

Time will tell what kind of mother she is, hopefully this calf will make it. I'm not going to press my luck for several weeks to determine whether it's a boy or girl, but you'll know when we know. If it's a boy he'll be in the freezer in about two years, and if it's a girl, we'll transition that much quicker to an all Beltie herd.

No comments:

Post a Comment