Thursday, December 1, 2016

How We Built Our Hog Pen


We went as barebones and cheap as we could with our pig pen. We bought the hog panels at Tractor Supply for $21 each, we had 4 T Posts on hand that I placed in the center of the 4 panels (on the outside of the panels). I connected the panels to the posts with a roll of heavy gauge wire that had been left behind by the previous owner, by simply tying solid square knots in three places, low, center, and high. The panels themselves were connected with both the wire, in the same three places, and then I also bought some cheap securable carabiners from Amazon that gave me the ability to securely join the panels on the ends, and allow me one corner to not use wire and be able to get in and out easily.

I made the mistake of using a half of a boiler as a feeder. It was heavy enough that for the first several months they couldn't move it, but looking back we were lucky that they didn't cut themselves on it. Next time we'll use a half of a 55 gallon plastic barrel. The water dish was the heavy flexible type and worked well.

Our next foray into hogs will be with grazing hogs, either kunekune or Guinea Hogs that graze. We have a ton of extra grass, might as well make it into bacon. I've got to do more research into the kunekune, what little I read today said they can be run in orchards as they won't gnaw on trees. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment