Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Winter Forage for Cattle



Today's project was overseeding the 8 acres of non-paddocked pasture. Last year I put down 450 pounds of winter wheat with a yard push mower. I've done a lot of stupid stuff in my life, but that exercise has to rank near the top. My little walking app on my phone said I walked 14 miles that day, it felt like more...

This year has been so dry that I had to wait until the second week of November to put out annual rye grass seed. I bought 200 pounds this year, along with a 50 pound sack of winter wheat that I overlooked last year, and spread it behind a 4 wheeler, it was night and day how much faster and easier that is.

I'll update pictures in a few weeks to show progress. Our hope is to supplement the hay we bought for the cattle, along with building the soil. Looking at this as a building project between now and 2020 finally gives me a reason to look forward to the next presidential election.

No comments:

Post a Comment