Saturday, November 26, 2016

Remembering the Alamo



So this Thanksgiving weekend we did took a day trip down to San Antonio to visit the Alamo. On the way down we stopped at Buc-ee's Gas Station just outside of Temple, Texas. To say it's a Texas sized gas station is still not describing how big it really is. If you get to Texas, make sure to stop in.

After an hour inside, I finally convinced the girls to get back inside the SUV and get back on the road. Pro-tip, if you're traveling from the DFW area, to San Antonio, pay the toll and avoid driving through Austin. Ask. Me. How. I. Know.

180 years later people are still remembering the Alamo. I hope the men who gave their lives there in the cause of Texas independence know their sacrifice has become a beacon to the world I heard a half dozen languages being spoken, and from the looks of the folks I saw, another half dozen more were touring the grounds of fallen heroes. The Ideal that is Texas has always been one of the most powerful ideas to inspire Liberty, outside of the Revolution by the Founding Fathers. Being at the epicenter of it was humbling.

I tell my kids all the time that death is not to be feared, as we all die, what matters is how we lived. Treading that hallowed ground made that more real to me.

If you get a chance, go visit. The Riverwalk is a few short blocks away, and really is one of the most awesome downtowns you'll ever see.

No comments:

Post a Comment