Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Rib-Eye Super Hero or Dinner?


The Belties and Dexters should start calving in the early part of October. Between the birth of the new calves and the two years it'll take to get them ready for the plate we needed something to fill the freezer. Enter Rib-Eye.

I found him on Craigslist from a farm that I've seen selling livestock pretty consistently over the two years I've been hear. They do a great job of telling the story of their animals, combined with good photos they got me to their farm without too much hesitation.

Their farm was spotless. I don't know how they do it. The grass was manicured, the stock yard did not have the multitude of cow patties that you can see in the picture above, and the house looked like sane people lived there. :-)

Rib-Eye will have until early December next year to roam the paddocks, munch on native Texas grasses, and enjoy being a steer. We went with a full size breed to fill the freezer and maximize the fact that we only have 5 cows on the pasture right now. Should my Belted Bull keep walking through fences, he may wind in the freezer first...

No comments:

Post a Comment