Monday, September 12, 2016

Homesteading is hard.



Yes, you heard that right. Homesteading is hard. Mother nature is a cold hearted wench. She, along with nature, will conspire to kill you, your family members, your livestock, your crops, tear down your fences, and wreck your equipment.

My heart breaks with each animal we lose, be they family pets or humble chickens. No matter how many hours I spend after work or on the weekends working on the homestead, there always seems to be another dozen projects that needed to get done. I get up at 4:15 the days I work so I can feed before I go to work. I feed again after I get home, and set up to speed up my work the next morning.

So why do we keep doing it?

Because it's real.

Because we know exactly how our food is raised.

Because there's no better way to raise your children than on a farm. Especially if you want them to make their own way in the world. A farm is a PhD level course in problem solving, empathy, and effort.

Because for Millennia, our forefathers had this struggle, they made it and that same blood flows through our veins.

We've accepted the challenge. I'll do my best to share our triumphs, tragedies, lessons learned, to hopefully make your journey a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment