Sunday, April 10, 2016

New Used Tractor

Massey Ferguson 135
Well, I finally broke down and bought a fixer-upper tractor. She runs. Leaks fuel when shut down, probably needs the carb rebuilt. I replaced the cap, wires, and coil. Immediately it ran better. I've gone through and replaced the radiator hoses that were pretty much all at the end of their serviceable life.

I've replaced the metal oil filter cartridge with a twist on. The front tires will need replaced in the next year. She's not much to look at but 43 horses of getting stuff done, and she's all mine. She's easy to work on, straight forward, and intuitively put together. That and there's a YouTube video for just about everything out there.

So far I'm digging her. Hopefully she'll work out well for the farm. I'll keep updates coming for folks who're looking for an older tractor. I spent almost a year and a half on Craigslist getting to know the market for used tractors (I was lucky enough to borrow my neighbors tractor the couple times I needed to brush hog) and knew a good deal when I saw it on a tractor that is prized for it's simplicity, ease of maintenance, and solid availability of parts (NAPA in this tractor's case).



No comments:

Post a Comment