Monday, October 2, 2017

Hog Wild

Redneck Pig Pen

This years hogs were an accident. I'd pretty much set my heart on a KuneKune breeding pair, then we went out to buy some rabbit hutches. After we offered to buy the hutches, the folks asked if we wanted to buy the two sows they'd been raising for a couple of months, as they were soon moving out of state. $40 for the pair. Couldn't pass it up.

These ladies were a LOT more active and fun to raise than the neutered Red Wattle/Duroc crosses I brought home last year. They also put on a lot more weight, faster as well. I did add a lot more ration to their daily diet, and we did a little better job of getting all of our table scraps out to them, but I really can't put my finger on why they grew so much better. 

The extra growth may have been the extra ration, or it may have been my pet goose they ate after she wandered into the pen. Thankfully none of us were there to see that. I was outside working on Brisket when one of the turkeys decided he'd had enough of this world and tried to kill himself by flying into their pen at night and then playing possum. Thankfully Andrea got the flashlight out quickly enough and I managed to grab said turkey by the neck (after quite a few feathers had been lost) and throw him out of the pen. The pigs were not happy with me at all. 

I sang, "Piggie, Piggie, Piggie can't you see, sometimes your bacon just hypnotize me" (set to the tune of Notorious B.I.G. each night when I fed them. They seemed to enjoy my singing more than my wife. They were diggers, and one of them escaped briefly about two weeks before they went to the butcher. As is usual when my wife and I herd livestock together, there were tears and profanity. 

We're supposed to get them back from the butcher this week or next. I'm sure I'll post more about them then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment